- Habilitation Thesis: 2008, Museum and Institute of Zoology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw
- PhD: 1998, Warsaw University, Department of Biology, Warsaw
- MSc: 1990, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Department of Biology, Toruń
The main research fields of A. Zalewski include ecology and conservation of carnivores, especially mustelids (social systems, feeding habits, predator-prey relationships, population regulation). He is the author of 20 scientific papers and one popular book on European martens. His current research projects are focused on: (1) space use and reproduction strategies in solitary carnivores (mainly medium-size mustelids); (2) influence of introduced American mink on native fauna and its competition with native predators. A. Zalewski has been an Associate Editor of an international journal Acta Theriologica.
- 2005-2007 - University of Aberdeen, Scotland
- 2000 - 1-month training visit, Laurentian University, Canada
- 1990 - 1.5-month training scholarship, Uppsala Agricultural University, Sweden
- Member of the network: "Martes Working Group"
- 2000 - Award of the Department of Biological Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences (awarded was the series of publications on ecology of the pine marten Martes martes in Białowieża National Park)
- 1997 - Yearly Fellowship of the Foundation for Polish Science for Outstanding Young Researchers